I hear you joe. I think it depends upon the environment and its goals. I'm generally against implicit stuff like blocking flags because its hard for people to troubleshoot. I'm also not terribly thrilled with the notion, in large environments, of having to manage 10s or 100s of gplinks and their attendant flags (enabled, disabled, enforced) separately when the target is the entire domain anyway, esp. if you have lots of nested OUs because then you have to expect people to make consistent decisions about where in the hierarchy they need to link, and over time, it just gets messy. But frankly security group filtering can suffer the same complexity problems and groups are probably less well maintained than OU structure in most orgs. I think security group filtering is best used as an exception mechanism rather than a normal course of things. As an exception mechanism, I tend to prefer it over blocking or enforcing.

d.

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of joe
Sent: Friday, September 15, 2006 6:24 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: RE: [ActiveDir] Block Inheritance on DC OU

For a point / counter point kind of discussion. I am against, generally speaking[1], group filtering on GPOs as I have seen it go horribly wrong[2] and would rather look at putting the links on the OUs. I don't find that to be a particularly painful task, especially considering that I usually push for a very fixed OU structure such that when a new site or what not is spun up, there is a script that sets the entire OU structure up including needed admin groups, any delegation, and any gPLinks.

  joe

[1] Meaning I am not absolutely against it but it needs to be a great reason. Say something for auto deploying certs and you have no matching OU structure for the deployment you want to implement.

[2]  Once saw an ACL reset on GPOs when a script that worked perfectly in the lab blew up in production and the resultant set of policies was a completely locked down kiosk that was applied to hundreds of thousands of users and machines (both workstations and servers) across the world. Thankfully it occurred on a Wednesday evening 6PM EST so the fallout was not 100% but mostly only on the west coast of the US and Australia/New Zealand. Nope, I didn't write the script. ;o)  I have seen lesser issues and heard of some other folks who have run into some fun with them.

--
O'Reilly Active Directory Third Edition - http://www.joeware.net/win/ad3e.htm