I think that's a very good way to approach it. Guido is really the expert on such processes and I tip my hat to him on that. :)

Some things to consider as you take this approach:
Write down what you're thinking. Why?  Because it'll help to focus the thoughts.  This can have a lot of moving parts in the process and it helps if you can keep your focus on the end goal at all times - even when you get mired down in politics.

If you lose the root domain, you have some big issues. It could happen, but I highly suggest you leave room in your report/guide for improvements aimed at shoring up any weaknesses in the processes that are followed to support the root domain.  Of all, that is a very critical domain to ensure it is always running and available.  Take into account all 8 layers when you do this.

Put a value on the assets (domains in this case) in the scenarios.  For example, is it as important if you lose that 20 person domain in South Florida? How important to the overall business? Is it important if you lose the root domain? How important? What's the relative value to the business?
The reason I say that is because when you start down this path there will be a recommendation to make improvements as well as to how you approach the backup/restore process.  If you have some values assigned, you can better prioritize and justify expenditures of time and money.

Good luck!

Al