Glad you're able to retain a sense of humor.  That's important too. :)

You're in good shape if AD and DNS is working fine or at least as expected.  You can find out if the old FTP server held any roles etc and clean up based on that.

I don't have the links handy, but you'll want to check for the following:
1) time server settings for the Domain - check PDC (by default it's the time master for the domain but yours may be custom/different)
2) find out if the FTP server was a DC. For this, open the ADUC and see what it shows in the domain controllers container. Not foolproof but it's an indication
3) Use DCDIAG on the domain controllers and check the information that comes back. Look for issues in there.  Easiest if you pipe it to a text file and use the /v switch, so that you can search it later.  Before you take action, feel free to drop a note back with the results.  Some things can be easy, while others might be better left alone or better yet, you might need to involve Microsoft Support.
4) Leave the sweden server alone until you have the other questions answered. It's fine the way it is for now, even if it leaves them degraded.
5) once you've been able to clear the rest, then we can go back and find out why the server doesn't want to be added to the domain as a dc (keep in mind it should be a domain member server now without issue).

Chances are, based on your description, that there's nothing to be terribly concerned about.  Verify and then figure out why the server won't join as a DC.  There are logs for the dcpromo process that should give an indication of that issue, but I highly suggest attacking this serially.

Al