From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Matt Hargraves
Sent: Friday, October 06, 2006 12:37 AM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: Re: [ActiveDir] OT: Volume licensing activation

I can completely understand Microsoft's point, don't get me wrong.

I guess it just kinda gets my goat that they're so tired of people using VLE keys as the new favorite of license violators that they're going to put the onus on the business owners to pay for a new server just to manage Microsoft's licenses.  Also, Vista is one thing, but Longhorn?  Do they really have that many server instances running with VLE keys that it justifies a company having to pay for 1-10 licensing servers (remember, not everyone is 100% in a single global region) to keep not only my workstations up and running, but the servers too?

I just kinda feel like if they're going to go this far, they should provide me with a license appliance to handle every x number of stations.  Enough people are paying for software assurance where it seems like it would be a good business move to keep people happy, a little good with the bad I guess.

The scary part that I'm wondering about is what they're going to do with the retail/OEM versions of the software.  There are enough people out there who will buy a computer but not have an internet connection (yes, I know it's not a *huge* number, the internet is half the reason a lot of people get computers), what are they going to have to do, call MS every 180 days to 'reactivate' their computer?  Talk about a pain.  My father would just end up giving his computer away if it came to that.  Granted, he's 60 and doesn't know a tenth what most people under the age of 30 know about computers, but those are the people who need everything more convenient and less of a hassle.