To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Sent: Thursday, October 12, 2006 5:30 PM
Subject: [ActiveDir] Reading Security Descriptors

Hello,
I am trying to list all the ACEs for a particular object in Active Directory. To help me do this (since I am a bit of a newbie to Directory programing), I am reading the book "The .NET Developer's Guide to Directory Service Programming". I took the program on page 302 and ran it against the object I want to print the ACEs for (I have attached the program). Running the program gives me a result of:
=====ACE=====
   Identity:  Domain\Computer$
   AccessControlType: Allow
   ActiveDirectoryRights:  WriteProperty
   InheritanceType:   None
   ObjectType:   bh967953-0dd6-11e0-a285-00aa003049e2
   InheritedObjectType:  <null>
   ObjectFlags:  ObjectAceTypePresent
This is great, but I would like to get the specific property this ACE was set for. For example, if I give an object a Allow Write to displayName with ADUC or ADSI, I would like to get a print out of the specific property so that I can write a program to set these ACE on specific properties moving forward. I was looking at the PropertyAccessRule ACE wrapper class and that looks like it has what I need, however, I can't seem to find a way to tie this in with the program listed on Page 302 of the book (mainly how I can tie this with the list of AccessRules I get back from the Security Descriptor) Any suggestions as to what I could do to list the specific property the ACE is being applied to? Just to be clear, I want to list the specific property of the ACE is so I can very easily apply them to other objects in the future. Once I list the PropertyAccessRule, I can then use the PropertySetAccessRule to apply the AcessRule to future objects.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Felderi Santiago

<<SecurityDescriptors.cs>>