There seems to be a bit of confusion on a couple of fronts.

First, neither stub zones nor conditional forwarding are dependent on the
"destination" (e.g., external forest/external environment) DNS
implementation. DNS servers respond to queries; that is what DNS does, no
matter what version or whose implementation. The mechanisms used in both
stub zone population and conditional forwarding are queries. The only reason
that the BIND DNS implementation would need to be 8+ is if it is necessary
for the forest that is serviced by the BIND servers to also do conditional
forwarding and/or stub zones on behalf of their clients.

Second, there is one and only one item in DNS that requires "pure" Windows
Server 2003 DNS, and that is the use of AD-integrated DNS zones that are
stored in partitions other than the domain partition. Leaving BIND out of
the picture for a moment, conditional forwarding and stub zones do, of
course, require Win2K3 DNS servers, but that does not necessarily preclude
the use of Windows 2000 DNS servers in the environment. Personally, I'd use
Windows Server 2003 regardless, but that's simply because it gives you more
options and you don't have to worry about what Win2K supports. (And as a
side note, you can even have Win2K DNS servers if you're using AD-integrated
DNS zones that are stored in partitions other than the domain partition- you
just won't be able to use the Win2k servers as replicas.)

This may prove useful: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/811118

HTH,

Laura

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx