To: <ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org>
Sent: Thursday, November 23, 2006 2:54 PM
Subject: [ActiveDir] Scaling up with AD or ADAM?

Hi guys,

We're helping a customer design a large new directory, to use with an Extranet environment. We see this thing scaling up to about 2 million active users, and up to about 10 million archival users (who no longer log in, but for various business reasons need to be kept around).

The active users are likely to log in every few days, and will be distributed around the globe.

Logins will be LDAP binds from web apps -- no file/print/etc. in scope.

Has anyone built an AD environment to this scale?

We're thinking separate directories BTW - a "live" one for the 2M users,
and an "archive" one for the 10M historical records.

Would you recommend ADAM?  With how many DCs if so?  (the web apps would
likely be hosted at a single site).

Perhaps full-fledged AD?  How many DCs?

Thanks!

--
Idan Shoham
Chief Technology Officer

Visit M-Tech at the Gartner Identity and Access Management Summit:
  http://www.gartner.com/2_events/conferences/iam1_section.jsp
  November 29 -- December 1; Las Vegas; Booth D.
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Visit M-Tech at the FinSec trade show:
  http://www.misti.com/default.asp?Page=65&Return=70&ProductID=5305
  December 4 -- 5; New York

 privileged.  It is intended solely for the addressee.  Access to this
 email by anyone else is unauthorized.  If you are not the intended
 recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any action taken or
 omitted to be taken in reliance on it, is prohibited and may be unlawful.

On Thu, 23 Nov 2006, Lee Flight wrote:

Hi

I think the problem is with

>But the user installing the ADAM instance is already member
> of administrators.

The ADAM answer file reader does not seem to check that; if it
sees the Administrator parameter in the answer file it assumes that
the user running the install is not an ADAM administrator and as
this is a unique instance installing the LDIFs will not be possible
due to lack of permissions to modify the local schema.
It might be possible to circumvent this using an explicit SourceUsername
and SourcePassword in the answer file, but I think your workaround is more secure.

Lee Flight