-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Laura A. Robinson
Sent: Tuesday, December 05, 2006 8:31 PM
To: ActiveDir@mail.activedir.org
Subject: [ActiveDir] Resending because I kept sending via the wrong account.

Okay, folks, I think I may have an answer to the behavior I've been seeing
with an account that is NOT a Domain Admin but IS an Administrator not
showing as the individual owner of the object when the policy is set to
"object creator".

The only thing I can think of is this- I've been doing this all via TS
connections. I'm not sure how I managed to do it, but I'm guessing that I
never actually logged off the TestLaura account after I removed it from
Domain Admins and made it a member of Administrators instead. I could have
sworn that I'd logged the darn thing off a whole buncha times, but that's
the only possibility that could explain why I was seeing the behavior I was
seeing. I feel like an idiot now. :-) (No agreement from the peanut gallery,
please; everybody has a bad day. I just tend to have mine very publicly.)

In any case, PLEASE DO NOT USE DOMAIN ADMIN ACCOUNTS FOR ROUTINE TASKS THAT
CAN BE PERFORMED USING NON-DA ACCOUNTS. (sorry, not yelling, just too lazy
to do psuedo-italics) None of this ownership stuff and policy changing has
any effect on accounts that are members of Domain Admins, only on accounts
that are members of the domain's Administrators group without being DAs. You
will still not be able to use ownership as a reliable indicator of object
creator REGARDLESS. Since object owners can *give* ownership to anybody they
desire (this has been possible since the NT days, just not exposed in the
GUI until post Win2K), there's nothing to guarantee that that hasn't been
done. If you want to know which user account was used to create objects in
the directory, use the event logs and auditing. Do not use object ownership.

Thank you very much, and we now return you to your regularly-scheduled
programming. I'm gonna go eat.

:-D

Laura

P.S. There were a bunch of rambling posts I sent before this one, but I
think this one actually sums stuff up well enough, and I'm sure you're tired
of seeing posts from me at this point! :-)

To summarize: If you're not as dain bramaged as I am and you set the "System
Objects: Default owner...: policy to "object creator", accounts that are
members of Administrators but are NOT members of Domain Admins will show as
the initial owner of the objects they create. Accounts that are members of
Domain Admins will be unaffected by the policy.

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx