Accounts operators have more permissions that just resetting passwords.

Here is the information from MS documentation.

Account Operators

Members of this group can create, modify, and delete accounts for users,
groups, and computers located in the Users or Computers containers and
organizational units in the domain, except the Domain Controllers
organizational unit. Members of this group do not have permission to
modify the Administrators or the Domain Admins groups, nor do they have
permission to modify the accounts for members of those groups. Members
of this group can log on locally to domain controllers in the domain and
shut them down. Because this group has significant power in the domain,
add users with caution.

Source:
http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/1631acad-ef34-4f7
7-9c2e-94a62f8846cf1033.mspx?mfr=true