I can't find an explanation and thought some of this august body might know or can point me to some resource...

When viewing sessions in the Shared Folders MMC snap-in for an AD member file server, there is a column labeled Idle Time.

What events reset this timer? I sometimes see very short idle times in the wee hours of the morning when I'm pretty sure no human is at the client machine.

In the Computer column I see some machines listed by their NetBIOS name, obviously from info in the AD integrated DDNS. Others are listed by their FQDN which is not related to the assigned NetBIOS name. This must be coming from the non-AD related, public DNS to which the AD DDNS refers inquiries for other domains. (The AD domain name and the public domain name are different.) What might be different about the way these machines were set up?

Just curious...

TIA,

-mjm

List FAQ    : http://www.activedir.org/ListFAQ.aspx