What are you comfortable with for administration?
How'd the attributes get populated in the first place?

joe's tool wouldn't be the tool of choice for this problem. To clarify that,
I mean to say that it wouldn't be the only tool because there's logic that
has to occur that is specific to your situation.

The manual method (non-automated) would be to export the information into
spreadsheets and use ldif or csv (comfort level again) to create and
populate the group structures as needed.

Al