Sorry I got a bit sidetracked for a while.

Ruby 2.3.1
Rails 4.2.6
ActiveScaffold 3.4.38
bitfields 0.7.0

2.3.1  > ActiveScaffold::Bridges[:bitfields].install?
 => true

2.3.1  > User.bitfields
 => {:role_bitfield=>{:general_admin=>1, :account_admin=>2,
:composite_admin=>4, :product_admin=>8}}

2.3.1  >
Admin::UsersController.active_scaffold_config.create.columns[:role_bitfield].class
 => ActiveScaffold::DataStructures::ActionColumns

And then I went to look at the config in the controller and noticed that I
was resetting the columns in a before filter to exclude some columns
depending whether it was displayed nested. If I don't do that, the bitfield
works perfectly. In this case, I don't even need this functionality now so
the fix is easy.

Thanks,

Jim