Good morning,

At present, we have a Regents’-level policy that authorizes the University’s
legal office to “defend or arrange for the defense of students against any
legal proceedings commenced against them arising from their good faith
participation in official University investigations or grievance or
disciplinary proceedings.”  There has been discussion about removing this
provision from the policy.  (As a public institution, the State Risk Management
Division provides a legal defense for faculty and staff employees in certain
circumstances, but not for students, except in narrow circumstances involving
health care instructional programs.)  Several objections have been raised about
removing this provision from the policy, including that its removal would make
students reluctant to disclose misconduct, participate in investigations, and
serve as witnesses.

We are interested in knowing if other institutions provide legal representation
for students in legal proceedings related to their participation in internal
investigations or disciplinary proceedings.

Thanks,
Pamina

[cid:image001.png@01D310EC.6D4C0060]
Pamina M. Deutsch
University Policy and Administrative Planning Director
UNM Policy Office, 114B Scholes Hall
MSC05 3357
1 University of New Mexico
Albuquerque, NM 87131-0001