From: adastra-boun...@lists.sxbrc.org.uk
[mailto:adastra-boun...@lists.sxbrc.org.uk] On Behalf Of
tallent...@btinternet.com
Sent: 01 February 2010 21:21
To: Adastra discussion group
Subject: Re: [Adastra] Redwings

Again a bit late, but during the snowy weather 2 redwings appeared and started
stripping the berries from the 2 hawthorn trees at the bottom of our garden.
The next day, there were 5.  Were the first 2 scouts?  The small flock stayed
around for a few days, and since then have returned irregularly.
Interestingly, all the birds who eat the haws favour one of the trees over its
neighbour.

Back in the 1980s, we had 2 crab apple trees in the garden (sadly lost to
fireblight), and during hard winters larger flocks of redwings(approx. 20)
would come and spend a couple of days stripping the trees.  The 5 we have seen
this winter are the first for many years - but this could be a reflection of
the recent mild winters.

Bev

--- On Mon, 1/2/10, annie.sherg...@talktalk.net <annie.sherg...@talktalk.net>
wrote:

> From: annie.sherg...@talktalk.net <annie.sherg...@talktalk.net>
> Subject: Re: [Adastra] Redwings
> To: "Adastra discussion group" <adastra@lists.sxbrc.org.uk>
> Date: Monday, 1 February, 2010, 11:50

> Small flock of
> Redwing (about 12) on the
> edge of the leisure centre grounds in Haywards Heath
> ..
>
> Right on queue for
> the Big Garden
> Birdwatch and a first in 36 years for our small garden -
> superb male
> pheasant

Sussex Wildlife Trust is a company limited by guarantee under the Companies
Act.  Registered in England, Company No. 698851.   Registered Charity No.
207005.  VAT Registration No. 191 305969.   Registered Office: Woods Mill,
Henfield, West Sussex BN5 9SD.  Telephone 01273 492630