Von: Gert Doering [mailto:g...@space.net]
Gesendet: Freitag, 24. Juli 2015 13:51
An: Silvia Hagen
Cc: address-policy-wg@ripe.net
Betreff: Re: [address-policy-wg] 2015-03 New Draft Document and Impact Analysis
Published (Assessment Criteria for IPv6 Initial Allocation Size)

Hi,

On Fri, Jul 24, 2015 at 11:31:54AM +0000, Silvia Hagen wrote:
> There is a widely adopted rule that all address conservation mechanisms
> should be removed from IPv6 address plans.

You can't do that on a RIR level - if the IPRAs were to hand out a /16 for
everyone that comes with a nice diagram, we'd actually run out of IPv6 soon.

Of course a /16 is excaggerating a bit - but I have seen my share of network
plans made totally without understanding for bits, hierarchy or actual
*networking*, resulting in "oh, for these 500 sites, we definitely need a /24!"
(and "oh, for all the electronic passports for 100 million citizens, we must
have a /19!") - and thus it is good practice to have someone more experienced
in addressing review the plan and see whether it makes sense.

(Just to point out the obvious - from the early days of /35s I have been
fighting for more liberal IPv6 allocation policies, but it still needs to be
done with a solid technical understanding, and not with "I like large numbers,
so get me a /15 please!" - this is the balance we need to find, or otherwise
we'll find us faster than expected in the "oops, fp 001 is gone!" land)

Gert Doering
        -- APWG chair

Tel: +49 (0)89/32356-444           USt-IdNr.: DE813185279