On 2016 May 11 (Wed) at 14:42:02 +0200 (+0200), Radu-Adrian FEURDEAN wrote:
:On Wed, May 11, 2016, at 08:53, Gert Doering wrote:
:
:> Would you have preferred the ARIN way?  "Oops, we have reached
:> exhaustion, nothing left, good buy to new entrants"?
:
:My understanding is that ARIN is not yet "dry". There still is some
:space available within 23.128.0.0/10 under NRPM 4.10 (which is supposed
:to be pretty restrictive, but I saw networks that prove me otherwise).
:And they still allow "further allocations" from that block (provided the
:"restrictive" conditions are met for all blocks). And it's evey 6 months
:not every 18 months.
:
:So it seems that issuing IPv4 space is still possible even after you cry
:out loud everywhere that you have none left. Don't tell me we (small
:LIRs) have to do the same with only a /22 in stock :)
:
:--
:Radu-Adrian FEURDEAN
:fr.ccs
:

The 23.128/10 block is ONLY for /24-/28 allocations.  These are not
intended as general purpose IP blocks, and are ONLY allowed to be used
for the IPv6 trasition (DNS servers, NAT64 gateways, etc).  People
violating the ARIN rules shouldn't be used as an excuse for us to change
the rules in RIPE.

https://www.arin.net/announcements/2014/20140130.html

ARIN does not count them as part of the available ranges for
allocation, so we should not assume they are part of the normal pool.

--
If you're going to do something tonight that you'll be sorry for
tomorrow morning, sleep late.