Am 23.09.2017 um 02:24 schrieb Randy Bush:
> the point here is simple.  the ripe community has a responsibility to
> the human community beyond the members of this list.

But the RIPE Community cannot change the laws of physics or, for that matter,
math.

2³² just wasn't enough numbers, deal with it.

> as a friend wrote privately
>
>     I would be interested to have a person who is 16 years old reply:
>
>     "I am planning to open my own internet company in 4 years; can you
>     please save some address space for me, 'til I finish high school?"
>
>     But of course, there is no such person on the RIPE mailing list..
>
> and we are responsible to those 14 year olds.

If he has the money to become a RIPE LIR right out of school, he *might* still
get a /22 by then.

Note, though, "internet company" does not necessarily involve IPv4. Nor does it
mean that he has to become an LIR; actually, many LIRs will be around that can
supply him with v4 PA space and connectivity, e. g. those LIRs that existed
before A6 and ip6.int got deprecated ...

Now, the children of my offsprings, which might have still a decade or so to
conception, what's with them? How do you intend to steward v4 usage to ensure
them the same chances to "open their own internet company" in, say, 28 years?
Or, more likely, their potential parents in, say, 8 years from now, after them
finishing School and University?

Where does this 'responsibily' end? When will be "well, the IPv4 well dried out
back in 2011; it's now just done, you're simply too late" a 'responsible'
answer? If not 2020/2021 (as based on current prediction), how about 2022?
2030? 2080? When do we distribute 240/4 among the RIRs as "really last /8s"?

Seriously, this is ridiculous. IPv4 is done. "get over it.  get a life." And
deploy IPv6. Actually a common tune[1] a decade before today already ;)

Regards,
-kai

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_y36fG2Oba0