Dear all,

Several existing and potential LIRs have complained about the fact that a /22
may not be
enough for starting an Internet service. While there is a general agreement
that this
allocation size should not be changed during the last /8 policy, it may be
useful to
make some exceptions in some properly justified cases.

There is also a general agreement that people should take care of their health,
they
should eat healthy food and do sufficient physical exercise, possibly by going
regularly
to the gym.

I have thought of a possibility to allocate up to a /20 from the last /8 pool
to the
companies that can prove that they encourage and help their employees to take
care of
their help, and that the employees themselves do take advantage of these
possibilities.

I already have a couple of initial suggestions for consideration, like the
average
number of hours of workout per employee per week, the average Body Mass Index
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_mass_index) per employee, and a couple of
similar
good ways of measuring the health status at the company. I also though that
computing
a simple average may disadvantage larger companies, therefore some formula
taking into
account the size of the different departments and the values measured there
could be
worked out, similar to the HD ratio used in determining the address utilisation
(https://www.ripe.net/publications/docs/ripe-699#hd_ratio). This could make the
proposal
more fair to large enterprises. There is, however, quite some work to be done
to make
these ideas properly implementable.

I think we should set up a small task force to determine the criteria such LIRs
should
meet. The time is pressing, we have to act quickly in order to be able to
discuss the
proposal in Marseilles. Anyone who volunteers for the Task Force should contact
me
ASAP. We can then come up with a formal proposal and present it to the working
group,
by following the formal steps of the PDP.

I am looking forward to being contacted by the volunteers.

Best regards,
Janos

PS: I am sure some people, when they hear about a new policy proposal for IPv4,
they
will come up with the usual argument that this is like arranging the deck
chairs again.
I have to mention, however, that the latest scientific research proved that the
sinking
of the Titanic could have been delayed by several hours if the deck chairs were
properly
arranged in due time. Therefore, this proposal may also contribute to a better
Internet
on the long run.

PS2: To those who had the patience to read this e-mail I wish a Happy 1 April!