On Thu, Apr 20, 2017 at 10:44 AM, evgeny777 <evgeny.levi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed that GetPreviousInstructionPc() function returns 'pc - 1' for both
> arm32 and arm64.
> This causes odd addresses to appear in stack traces, which is nonsense, as
> both arm32/64 instructions
> have 4 byte size and alignment.
>
> The x86 and x86_64 cases are even more confusing, because instruction length
> is not constant. What exactly this 'pc - 1' is expected to return?
>
> But even if one is able to get previous instruction address correctly he may
> still get confusing results. In case some instruction triggers
> hardware exception, its address will go to ASAN stack trace (via
> SlowUnwindStackWithContext). Returning address of previous instruction
> in such case can be extremely confusing.
>
> Is there any point in using this function?

Hi,

Yes, there is a very bold point in using this function.
Typically top frame PC is obtained with __builtin_return_address,
which means that it points to the next instruction after the call. And
we need to obtain debug info associated with the call instruction. To
achieve that we subtract 1 from PC. All symbolization code that we've
seen is fine with PC pointing into a middle of an instruction.

Now, if we print pc-1 in reports (do we?), then it's a bug. We need to
print unaltered PC in reports.

Re hardware exceptions. This needs to be fixed. A trivial change would
be to add 1 to PCs pointing to faulting instruction. Then
GetPreviousInstructionPc will offset this and we get correct debug
info. However, then we will print incorrect PC in report. So a proper
fix would be to augment all stack traces with a flag saying if top PC
needs to be adjusted during symbolization or not.