On Sat, Jul 15, 2017 at 4:39 PM, Yuri Gribov <tetra2...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> From reading the original feature request in
> https://github.com/google/sanitizers/issues/8 it seems that adaptive
> redzones were mainly meant for catching overflows in arrays of large
> objects e.g.
>
>   struct {
>     int a[10];
>     int x;
>   } a[100];
>   a[101].x = 0;  // Skips redzone
>
> Current adaptation only considers size of array as a whole so would
> add similarly big redzone for same-sized
>
>   int a[1100];
>
> even though risk of large overflow offset here seems to be much lower.
>
> Has anyone considered selecting redzone based on array element size
> rather than array size? Firstly this would allow more intelligent
> redzone selection (current approach does not guarantee that generated
> redzone will cover one array element) and also reduce memory pressure
> (which is important for "embedded" targets).

I totally agree that for compound type arrays the redzone size must be
based on the array element size.

Not sure if we need to reduce the redzone size for big arrays of
scalars, as e.g. char arrays are sometimes used as opaque storage for
compound types.
Do you have any evidence how big is the memory overhead caused by
redzones in this case?
> -Y
>
> --

Alexander Potapenko
Software Engineer

Google Germany GmbH
Erika-Mann-Straße, 33
80636 München

Geschäftsführer: Matthew Scott Sucherman, Paul Terence Manicle
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Hamburg