[This list is continued from the previous email.]

gdb:

I could likely manage to bring Alpine and Adélie gdb packages even, but
effort.  Their ppc64le fix applies to *all* PPC, and that means turning
a conditional into a case statement.  They aren't specifying DISTRO_*
for package version or bug URL.  It also needs to be modernised.  I will
probably work on this when we are in beta.  Alpha cycles are too stressful.

gdk-pixbuf:

We add jasper for JPEG2000 support.  It is buggy on 64-bit musl (the
test suite even crashes 1 every 8-10 times) because jasper needs better
patching (stack overflows).  I don't really want to shove this upstream
until jasper itself is working better.  If someone else will maintain it
in system/ we can do that, otherwise we may drop JPEG2000 support until
jasper is working better.  There is also the python-compat issue.

gettext:

ABI breakage.  I don't even know how or why.  Alpine ships a different
gettext ABI that is not the same as upstream.  I removed the ABI patch
from our build because we don't have that issue, and that patch caused
alpha2 packages to segfault.  We really can't ship Alpine gettext, so we
will probably need to move this to system/.

glib:

We carry six (!) patches to make the test suite pass on musl.  Some of
them should probably be sent upstream.  We also ship xattr support via
attr-dev and replace Python 2 with Python 3.  I'm already tracking glib
upstream for the constructors issue so I can probably maintain it in
system/.

gnome-doc-utils:

We ship a hilariously broken version with Python 3 just to satisfy the
few packages left that still depend on it.  This has been deprecated
upstream for years, so if we have to put it in system/, it won't need
maintenance.

gobject-introspection:

Py2->3, and a confusing comment, prevent me from merging this upstream.
The package seems to work correctly but I don't understand the intent of
enabling a -dev package after saying "dont bother separate -dev".

gpgme:

We need the Qt5 version for KDE, and again Alpine doesn't have Qt5 in
main/, so this needs to probably move to system/.  I'd almost be tempted
to move it to user/, but I'd be worried about conflicting.

graphviz:

Not compatible with Python 3 so I ripped out the Python bindings and
replaced them with Guile bindings.  I have a feeling Alpine wouldn't
appreciate that, though I didn't see any packages with py2-gv as a
dependency in aports.

grep:

We need grep in /bin instead of /usr/bin for Java.  We will be forced to
move this to system/ if we don't maintain a fork of aports.git.

gstreamer (and gst-plugins-*):

Alpine has made a mistake with ldpath for GStreamer 1.0, setting it to
/usr/lib/gstreamer-.0 instead of /usr/lib/gstreamer-1.0.  This error
would mean every package using GStreamer would need to be rebuilt
upstream if that was fixed.  On the other paw, I REALLY do not want to
ship such a blatant error if we can help it.  While I would regret
having to maintain all the GStreamer packages, it may be necessary.

[The next 10 will be in the next email.]

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)