On 02/12/18 08:07, William Pitcock wrote:
> Hello,
> On Sun, Feb 11, 2018 at 3:17 PM, A. Wilcox <awil...@adelielinux.org> wrote:
>> lynx:
>> We enable a LOT of extra options, primarily for accessibilty or UX.
>> This would likely be considered bloat by Alpine.  Not sure if aerdan@
>> would be interested in maintaining this in system/.
> What are the options?  What are the dependency lists for both Alpine
> and Adelie versions?  Most likely it can be upstreamed, actually.

Dependency list is the same.  It adds about 250K to binary size:

Alpine edge lynx-2.8.8_p2-r6 installed size:

Adélie alpha4 lynx-2.8.8_p2-r7 installed size:

+               --enable-nested-tables \
+               --enable-persistent-cookies \
+               --enable-prettysrc \
+               --enable-file-upload \
+               --enable-read-eta \
+               --enable-color-style \
+               --with-zlib \
+               --enable-idna \
+               --enable-nls \
+               --enable-japanese-utf8 \
+               --with-bzlib \
+               --with-ssl=/usr \
+               --with-screen=ncursesw

=> nested-tables does exactly what it sounds like

=> persistent-cookies saves 'permanent' cookies to disk storage so users
can stay logged in

=> prettysrc allows syntax highlighting in view source mode

=> file-upload does exactly what it sounds like (INPUT TYPE=FILE)

=> idna is IDN, international domain name support

=> zlib, bzlib are for Compression: deflate and bzip2 support

=> ssl + screen are just explicit configure options that are defaults
anyway (we were having some issues with ca-certificates in alpha3 and I
added --with-ssl=/usr to try and fix them; it wasn't the issue, but I
didn't feel a need to remove it)

>> ninja:
>> We use asciidoctor instead of asciidoc because Ruby is better than
>> Python 2.  This is likely never going to upstreamed, so someone will
>> need to maintain it in system/.
> asciidoctor is preferred over asciidoc in Alpine these days due to
> jirutka@'s advocacy.  It is upstreamable.

[adelie-integration b345073c31] main/ninja: use asciidoctor and Python
3; fix license

>> pango:
>> The test suite requires a specific font, Cantarell, to pass (since it
>> tests font drawing).  This is only in Alpine testing/, so we have to
>> wait until it is in main/ to merge this.  I don't know if the test suite
>> is worth maintaining it in system/.
> We can move Cantarell to main.

That would be fantastic.  Let me know when that is done, then that test
suite can be merged.

>> pidgin:
>> We enable D-Bus, Perl, and NLS for user experience and integration with
>> modern desktops.  Alpine will never accept this.  We may want to put
>> this in user/ so that Alpine users can have a choice.  I'm not sure.
> D-Bus is a plugin isn't it?  If so we could solve this by splitting
> D-Bus and Perl.  NLS is fine as long as the locales are split into
> $subpkg-lang.

No.  Perl is (/usr/lib/purple-2/perl.so), but D-Bus is baked into the
core if you enable it.

>> poppler:
>> We enable PNG, TIFF, and Zlib support in Poppler for wider image support
>> in PDFs.  We need to discuss whether Alpine considers this good or bloat.
> I believe it is fine.

[adelie-integration 444e436bfc] main/poppler: enable PNG and TIFF
support, fix license

>> postfix:
>> We kill MySQL support because MariaDB isn't buildable on PowerPC.
> What are the problems with MariaDB on PowerPC?  Can you start a new
> thread for this?

04:00:01 <@TheWilfox>  mariadb does not build on powerpc
04:00:19 <@TheWilfox>  "Atomic operations are not available for this
platform.  MariaDB cannot be built for powerpc-foxkit-linux-musl."
04:02:33 <dimitsos>    mariadb not updating on debian 8 powerpc was one
of the reasons debian 9 has not powerpc
04:03:31 <@TheWilfox>  funny enough, mariadb DOES work on powerpc64, big
04:03:48 <@TheWilfox>  like, we build with the test suites enabled, it
04:05:41 <dimitsos>    is what you mentioned somewhat fixable?
04:07:38 <dimitsos>    or is it an upstream thing?
04:08:03 <@TheWilfox>  it's upstream
04:08:20 <dimitsos>    :(
04:10:03 <dimitsos>    which version are we talking about?
04:10:38 <@TheWilfox>  10.1.28
04:10:46 <@TheWilfox>  10.3 appears to have fix - real powerpc
04:10:50 <@TheWilfox>  and one for sparc and mips too.
04:11:22 <@TheWilfox>  https://jira.mariadb.org/browse/MDEV-11212

I raised the issue of bumping to MariaDB to 10.3 in Alpine and was
redirected to https://github.com/alpinelinux/aports/pull/2302 which
still has no movement.

>> procps:
>> We enable kill and w in procps because we don't ship BusyBox by default.
>> We already have our own private psmisc package in user/, and I am a
>> contributor to procps, so I don't see the harm in having procps in
>> system/.  I can maintain it.
> OK.
> William

A. Wilcox (awilfox)