On 02/12/18 16:26, A. Wilcox wrote:
> So again: I don't have a problem offering the option, but I really do
> not want to make it the default until we have an answer for root.

Just pushed system/dash.  It has dash-binsh.  For testing purposes, I
swapped bash-binsh with dash-binsh on the ppc32 builder.  (Nerves of
steel here.)

It works great, it didn't break anything or set the world on fire, etc.

I was so happy I actually tried building dash with itself as /bin/sh!

awilcox on elaine /usr/src/packages/system/dash $ abuild
/usr/bin/abuild: 1778: /usr/bin/abuild: Bad substitution
>>> ERROR: dash: all failed

abuild does not work with dash as /bin/sh.  This is pretty much going to
be a non-starter on builders, and it's going to make development on
computers with dash-binsh completely unusable.

I'm not sure if dash-binsh should conflict with abuild so a user can't
do that, or if I should just remove dash-binsh completely, or if abuild
should depend on bash and use #!/bin/bash.  This is kind of terrible,
especially since abuild works fine with bash or busybox as /bin/sh.  It
even almost works completely with zsh as /bin/sh.

Sincerely,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)