On 05/19/18 19:40, William Pitcock wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On Sat, May 19, 2018 at 7:15 PM, A. Wilcox <awil...@adelielinux.org> wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> This is a notice to all Adélie Linux developers that we will be
>> deprecating syslinux as of beta1, and it will not be shipping with 1.0.
>>
>> There are many reasons for this:
>>
>> * syslinux is not so maintained any more
>>
>> * syslinux does not work right on most (U)EFI machines, including actual
>> Tiano machines, in addition to Apple machines
>>
>> * syslinux only boots x86 computers
>>
>> * GRUB 2 has better support for older BIOSes with finicky hard disk
>> controllers / CD drives (for pmmx)
>>
>> * GRUB 2 is more customisable
>>
>> * GRUB 2 allows us to have actual menus on the boot CD, instead of
>> potentially confusing "boot:" prompt or very limited syslinux menu.c32
>>
>> If someone is aware of a computer that is bootable on syslinux and not
>> GRUB 2, please reply ASAP so that we can either debug it and fix GRUB 2,
>> or review our other options for such computers.  Thank you.
>
> Should we push for this change to be in Alpine 3.9 too?  My position
> on extlinux was that it was mostly intended to be a replacement for
> lilo.
>
> William

As a replacement to lilo, syslinux excels.  Simple configuration, sparse
prompt, small binary size, not maintained.  ;)

I don't know if GRUB 2 matches very well with Alpine's goals.  grub-bios
and syslinux have similar install sizes (both in the 4 MB range), but
grub's common package is 13 MB extra.

We're going with GRUB because it is user-friendly.  I don't think
servers really need good support for 1990s BIOSes or VESA boot menus.

Best,
--arw

--
A. Wilcox (awilfox)