On Mar 07 04:46 PM, A. Wilcox wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I have just done an experimental build of system/ without GNU Bison
> available.  The only package that uses Bison extensions to Yacc is
> iproute2.  There are three ways forward I can determine:
>
> 1) Move iproute2 to user/.
>
> We still have `ifconfig` and `route` from net-tools in system/ for base
> installs.  This allows us to continue to move GNU out of system/.

I think this is the best course of action for now, and it was the first
thought that came to my mind - if we don't absolutely need iproute2 in
the base install / bootstrapping system, it shouldn't be in @system
anyway.

> 2) Port iproute2 to real Yacc.
>
> I am concerned that the upstream of iproute2 may not want this, though
> there has never been any public discussion that I've found on this
> topic.  If they do not, then we would have to carry the patch for it.
>
> I will note that iproute2 only uses Yacc/Bison in one file, so it would
> not be a particularly large patch to carry, but it would still be a
> non-zero effort for every version bump of iproute2.

This option could be pursued at a later date if it is deemed necessary
to keep iproute2 in @system.

Max