On 02/12/18 15:44, Max Rees wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 12, 2018 at 4:34 PM, A. Wilcox wrote:
>> That's really something I'd rather discuss after we know what the
>> thing is going to do first.  Ideally, it would be something that
>> the user could disable if necessary, but default to on (so it would
>> be opt-out).
>>
>> Preferrably, the amount of information collection would be so
>> minimal (a list of installed packages and versions along with a CPU
>> architecture only) that no one would feel the need to opt-out.
>> This information is very valuable for making sure Adélie continues
>> to meet the needs of our users.
>>
>> But there's always going to be *someone* calling an always-on
>> system that tracks packages "privacy-violating" or "non-free" so
>> yes, it will have an off switch.
>
> That sounds good to me. I was just thinking that we should be as up
> front about this as possible so as to quiet such calls. We all know
> how loud such people can get if they think they are being deceived.

Absolutely.  I don't think there's any harm in noting during
installation "by default, your system will anonymous collect the
packages you have installed to help further development of Adélie.  You
can <turn this functionality off>[link to docs] if you wish, but note
that no personal information about you is ever collected." or such.

> Anyway, with regards to the functionality, a future goal that I
> think should be considered is integrating the general statistics
> into Parcel, which is something I'm sure you're already considering
> since you mention web interfaces in your proposal.

Yes, that is exactly what I was thinking of when I wrote the API thing.
I should have made that more explicit in the Opportunity section; I'll
put that in the next draft.  Thanks!

Best,
--arw

--