At 06-01-2005 06:02, Jeffery J. Haas wrote:

> >Reini (and the rest of the gang)....check this out.
> >http://www.dalsa.com/dc/dc.asp
> >
> >This is where things are heading. Think "trickle down".....in consumer and
> >professional electronics, the trickle down theory actually DOES work.
>
>It's all a matter of CCD technology. When they are capable or making CCDs
>with high resolution that can produce 25 frames or more per second, it's
>easy to build the cameras around those CCDs. I understand that Dalsa is
>still waiting for this CCD?
>
>Rieni
>
>----Nope, not at all, and neither is Thomson (maker of the Thomson Viper 
>"Filmstream" camera) neither is anyone. The problem is one of workflow. 
>These cameras output so much raw data that, without some form of 
>compression, the Dalsa can fill a 1.5 terabyte drive in FIFTEEN SECONDS.
>Nothing has enough storage at that RATE OF THROUGHPUT to deal with it, so 
>compression of some sort of necessary.

Very interesting post. I saw you mention the Viper a long time ago and 
always wanted to ask you about it because I deleted that message, but now I 
remember, I will check out the link.

As for high data rate, why don't they compress then, using M-JPEG or 
MPEG2/4? And why don't they go down with resolution a little? TV has about 
700 x 500 pixels, so going to 1000 x 700 would already be a big 
improvement. Or is it because the Viper etc are meant for shooting material 
that is going to be projected on large screen in cinema?

Then again, I would be very happy with lower resolution because at the 
moment I don't shoot anything for cinema, and that goes for most 
video-producers I assume. Most produce for DVD, TV or online distribution.

I must also say that they may come with better "video" cameras, at the same 
time the quality of TV and cinema keeps going down. Who wants to see CRAP 
like MTV's jackass or Baywatch or Rambo 12 in super high resolution?

Rieni



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to