Wow David,
 
That was a great explanation and I saw the differences in the examples at the 
link.  Of course now, you know some of us would some explanation of some of the 
points that you made...  
 
I should say that I was trying to shrink the overall size of a 6 min avi file 
to something that would fit on cd, so a client could upload to a server for 
streaming..  I was in the export setting box, but it sounds like the same 
principles are involved...
 
Frame Rate:  I thought if I changed the frame to something lower it have the 
effect of changing the duration, and/or the playback speed. I mean, if I taped 
at 30fps, what happens if I encode at 15fps? How will it affect quality of 
playback, and how will it affect the final size of the file?
 
Keyframing:   What's that all about ?  I know how it works in editing, but how 
does it work in encoding?
 
Data Rate:   How does the data rate effect playback and size?  Is higher 
better? of lower? should I "recompress" always, or what?  Maintain data rate? 
LOL I'm totally lost in this area..
 
I appreciate any help you can give me on this.   If there is some link you know 
with this information, I would appreciate that as well.
 
Thanks a lot (I'll definitely be saving this answer you gave about encoding for 
the net)
 
-Frank
www.Time-LineProductions.com
 
 
 
David Hurdon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I don't see myself quoted often, here or anywhere else, so thanks Stuart 
for your kind words. My comments related to a specific question and while 
some are relevant to Renee's objective, I'd amend my answer somewhat for 
this situation.

The four biggest impacts on the quality and size of a web compression are 
resolution (width and height in pixels), frame rate, key frames and source 
material. The last one is the first consideration. If it is made up of high 
motion it will be difficult to impossible to make a small file that looks 
good. High motion doesn't just mean kick boxing or extreme skiing. It can 
be short clips, zooms, pans and tilts, noise from analogue conversion, 
effects and dissolves - anything that requires the encoder to spend 
precious bits wastefully. If the source material isn't challenging, try 320 
X 240 at 15 fps and note the number of key frames in the default. If you 
don't like the size results but the quality is ok, do it again with fewer 
key frames.  The URL below links four video files I recently did with 
Procoder Express. If you look at #3 and 4, you will see the difference the 
extra bits make, and where. You can also decide whether either version is 
up to your quality objective. The first (3) is at a combined data rate of 
108 kbps, while #4 is at 272 kbps. I usually don't encode at that low a 
level but for this project I needed to experiment at that end.

http://www.contentshop.tv/procoder.htm

David Hurdon


At 06:28 PM 4/5/2005 -0700, you wrote:


Hi!

I have a 5 minute video clip, which needs to be compressed for internet.
I created windows media 9 version for 256 k download and the file size is
11+ MB. Earlier I have had good results with this format for web movies. But
this one, I am not happy with the resolution, and need to bring the file
size to about 5 MB.

What do I need to do. I could create WMV for 128 K, to reduce the file size
but that would also compromise the resolution further. How do I get better
results than I have and a smaller file size. Would appreciate inputs on how
to achieve this.

Thanks.
Renee




---------------------------------
Yahoo! Groups Links

   To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/
  
   To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
  
   Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. 



[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]



 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 



Reply via email to