Jeff,
Long lengths of XLR (or any other) cable do NOT cause delays of the sort
that you are describing. The signal in them travels at roughly the speed of
light and this is not the source of your problem. 
There is just a small likelihood of a delay being introduced (deliberately
and by use of a digital delay box) into the feed from the desk to your
camera. In some large buildings a small delay can be introduced into the
feed to certain loudspeakers in order to ensure that sound arrives (say at
the back of a Cathedral) at the same time via speakers at the front and the
back. However I doubt that the audio guy who was giving you the feed would
have given you a delayed feed.
One thing you did not make quite clear was whether the sound in your
computer was always the same amount out of sync with the picture or whether
the problem increased as time moved on.

Before we chase this problem round and round in circles I think it would be
good if you could do a couple of checks and let us know the results.
1) Is the sync error constant or varying?
2) Is the sync error present if you play back the tape directly from the
camera to a TV set (i.e. no computer capture involved).

Also:
3) What camera (Make and type) was the material shot on?
4) What camera or player was used for the capture into the editing system?
5) If you were to capture just a short section from the middle of the
recording (say the vows where the problem might show up most), how close is
the sync for that section?

Armed with that information we may be able to come up with some more
suggestions about the problem.

Julian
Bristol, England
*************************************************
ORIGINAL MESSAGE
   Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 22:23:38 -0000
   From: "cableguy032000" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Video and Audio out of sync....

Hi everyone....

I didn't think I would be posting again so soon with another 
problem.  Once before I had trouble with the audio and video being 
pretty far out of sync after I captured to Premiere Pro.  Thanks to 
a few responses on the forum, I was able to change some of the 
settings that I had that were related to my Matrox card and it 
corrected the problem.  Recently however, I captured an hour of 
footage from a wedding that I shot and the audio and video were 
slightly out of sync.  Not as bad as last time, but still noticeably 
out of sync.  Since none of my settings have changed, I began to 
look at anything else that was different about my setup.  The only 
thing that I could come up with was that instead of recording the 
audio track directly to the camera through it's on-board microphone, 
I recorded the audio to the camera through XLR cables from an output 
off of the church's sound system.  The XLR cable connecting the 
soloist's microphone and the sound system was about 75 feet long.  
Then the cable connecting the sound system to my camera was another 
50 feet long.  My question is, could that have caused a delay?  
Maybe it was coincidental, but the audio was lagging the video by 
about 10 or 12 frames.... not alot but just enough to be 
noticeable.  

I was able to line the audio back up properly, but I was still 
curious if I could avoid having to do that again in the future.

Thanks,

Jeff





------------------------ Yahoo! Groups Sponsor --------------------~--> 
Most low income households are not online. Help bridge the digital divide today!
http://us.click.yahoo.com/cd_AJB/QnQLAA/TtwFAA/ADr1lB/TM
--------------------------------------------------------------------~-> 

 
Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Adobe-Premiere/

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    [EMAIL PROTECTED]

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
 


Reply via email to