>Support confirmed that the amount of data replicated in a replnode command
is the same, regardless of the protect pool command status.

I think that this is only in the statistics, not in the actual transfer on
the wire.
the replnode should not transmit actual data if the data was send by the
protect storagepool command.
Are you running enough (but not to many) parallel processes for the
replicate node command so it can perform optimally?

I'm using this setup for multiple customers and it worked fine for us so
far.

http://imgur.com/a/mT6ux