From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU] On Behalf Of
Richard Cowen
Sent: Friday, 20 July 2018 6:15 AM
To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
Subject: Re: [ADSM-L] Looking for suggestions to deal with large backups not
completing in 24-hours

Canary! I like it!
Richard

-----Original Message-----
From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager <ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU> On Behalf Of Skylar
Thompson
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2018 10:37 AM
To: ADSM-L@VM.MARIST.EDU
completing in 24-hours

There's a couple ways we've gotten around this problem:

1. For NFS backups, we don't let TSM do partial incremental backups, even if we
have the filesystem split up. Instead, we mount sub-directories of the
filesystem root on our proxy nodes. This has the double advantage of letting us
break up the filesystem into multiple TSM filespaces (giving us directory-level
backup status reporting, and parallelism in TSM when we have
COLLOCG=FILESPACE), and also parallelism at the NFS level when there are
multiple NFS targets we can talk to (as in the case with Isilon).

2. For GPFS backups, in some cases we can setup independent filesets and let
mmbackup process each as a separate filesystem, though we have some instances
where the end users want an entire GPFS filesystem to have one inode space so
they can do atomic moves as renames. In either case, though, mmbackup does its
own "incremental" backups with filelists passed to "dsmc selective", which
don't update the last-backup time on the TSM filespace. Our workaround has been
to run mmbackup via a preschedule command, and have the actual TSM incremental
backup be of an empty directory (I call them canary directories in our
documentation) that's set as a virtual mountpoint. dsmc will only run the
backup portion of its scheduled task if the preschedule command succeeds, so if
mmbackup fails, the canary never gets backed up, and will raise an alert.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skyl...@u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354

This message and any attachment is confidential and may be privileged or
otherwise protected from disclosure. You should immediately delete the message
if you are not the intended recipient. If you have received this email by
mistake please delete it from your system; you should not copy the message or
disclose its content to anyone.

This electronic communication may contain general financial product advice but
should not be relied upon or construed as a recommendation of any financial
product. The information has been prepared without taking into account your
objectives, financial situation or needs. You should consider the Product
Disclosure Statement relating to the financial product and consult your
financial adviser before making a decision about whether to acquire, hold or
dispose of a financial product.

For further details on the financial product please go to http://www.bt.com.au

Past performance is not a reliable indicator of future performance.