I think it depends on the size/load on the server.
For smaller environments we even use the midrange read intensive SSD's in
raid 1 (2 of them) or sometimes even raid 5 with a spare and they run for
years, this works just fine for S en M blueprints.
For very intensive environments we tent to use the write intensive SSD's
and in raid 1 (L blueprints).

We run on SUSE Linux and this has been a very stable platform for many of
our customers and our own cloud platform.
With internal SSD's make sure you buy the best internal raid controller you
can get with the correct SSD upgrades, don't skimp on that part.

Size the active log correctly and place that on SSD as well, make
everything a bit bigger than need be, you want to have at least 10GB of
free space on the active log filesystem.