From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
William Rosette
Sent: Wednesday, March 13, 2002 9:37 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Monthly full backup

How many tape drives do you have and how long do your backupsets run?

                    Bill Boyer
                    <bill.boyer@VE       To:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    RIZON.NET>           cc:
                    Sent by:             Subject:     Re: Monthly full
backup
                    "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"
                    <[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                    IST.EDU>

                    03/13/02 09:15
                    AM
                    Please respond
                    to "ADSM: Dist
                    Stor Manager"

Using 1 nodename for both daily and monthly backups...? Don't you have
problems with versioning? Or did you take into account that you would
always
be getting a version of every file at least once a month.

Is there a reason you couldn't use backupsets for the monthly backup? You
could set up a monthly admin schedule to run a generate backupset for these
node(s). We do this for a client. We defined a TSM server script called
GENBSET that takes the nodename as a parameter and issues the generate
command. We do 4-5 a day, for days 1-28 of each month (since all months
have
28-days). They don't care when during the month the 'monthly' tape is
generated, just that there is one that they can keep for a year. They also
use Autovault to offsite vault these 'monthly' tapes.

Bill Boyer
DSS, Inc.