From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of
Gerald Wichmann
Sent: Thursday, May 16, 2002 1:05 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Shutting down TSM on AIX

Kill command is ok however keep in mind that you'll want to check what the
TSM server is doing first before you do it. Make sure any backups/restores
can be cancelled (and the appropriate people informed) as well as any other
processes like migration and so forth. According to the TSM manual you
should do:

Disable sessions - prevents new clients from accessing TSM put permits
existing sessions to continue
Query sessions - check if any sessions are currently running
Cancel session - cancel above sessions as appropriate
Query process - check for any running processes
Cancel process - cancel them as appropriate
Then when the TSM server is quiet and you're ready to shut it down:
Halt

When you bring it back up use "enable sessions" to allow clients to access
TSM again..

Are the above necessary? No not really.. doing a halt outright or sending a
kill signal to the process is going to cause the TSM server to cancel
everything anyways.. So if you know it's ok to do so then go for it. But I
usually do a quick check and "quiet" the TSM server personally..

Regards,

Gerald Wichmann
Senior Systems Development Engineer
Zantaz, Inc.