Hi all (and especially Paul, Paul and Raphael !), Many thanks for your clear and very instructive responses : this is going to be a precious help for defining better memory setting ! Cheers.
Arnaud =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= | Arnaud Brion, Panalpina Management Ltd., IT Group | | Viaduktstrasse 42, P.O. Box, 4002 Basel - Switzerland | | Phone: +41 61 226 19 78 / Fax: +41 61 226 17 01 | =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= -----Original Message----- From: Seay, Paul [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Monday, 20 January, 2003 4:36 To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Sizing of Bufpoolsize, everyone take note of this response We are about to upgrade to a 6 x 750 MHZ from a 4 x 450 MHZ. At that point, I will consider doing more bufferpool. The problem is the buffer processing does use some CPU resources, especially during expiration. So, I will be able to model the benefits. We are adding 2GB of memory (total 4GB), so I may run my bufferpool up to a gigabyte. Paul D. Seay, Jr. Technical Specialist Naptheon Inc. 757-688-8180 -----Original Message----- From: Paul Ripke [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Sent: Friday, January 17, 2003 8:48 PM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Re: Sizing of Bufpoolsize, everyone take note of this response On Saturday, January 18, 2003, at 02:36 AM, Seay, Paul wrote: > As Zorg would say, I know the sound of this music. > > The default maxperm is probably killing you. I am guessing you are > swapping > > <snip> I agree whole-heartedly! I'd go a step further, and knock maxperm down to about 10%, or even less. Given the nature of TSM I/O, the AIX buffer cache is going to be next to useless. It may then be possible to expand the TSM bufpoolsize beyond recommendations... I've set mine to about 60-70% physical RAM, up from 30-40%. The speed of selects and "q actlog" have increased by an order of magnitude. Definitely stay below the level where the system starts to swap, and don't go too large... TSM buffer cache management can then become a bottleneck. How big is too large? No idea - it'd be very dependent on hardware - experiment and see! Cheers, -- Paul Ripke Unix/OpenVMS/DBA 101 reasons why you can't find your Sysadmin: 68: It's 9AM. He/She is not working that late. -- Koos van den Hout
