Geoffrey, I do pretty standard metrics by tape count, occupancy, CPU utilization, paging, network interface utilization, etc, for my capacity planning. I'm afraid there's really no formula per se that's useful in the real world.
The TSM documentation describes how you can take your %change, server size, count, growth expectation, etc, to size your server. With those numbers you can guestimate your various capacities (network, storage). However, getting those numbers is impossible (I won't even qualify that with the word "near"). If you can get your customers to pony up reliable information and give you growth projections, %change, etc, then that's the real magic and I'd like to hear about it. Additionally, I don't know of anything except the standard "watch and see what happens" style standard performance monitoring and tuning to size for CPU and RAM. Good luck. Alex Paschal Freightliner, LLC (503) 745-6850 phone/vmail -----Original Message----- From: Gill, Geoffrey L. [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Sent: Monday, March 31, 2003 9:27 AM To: [EMAIL PROTECTED] Subject: Capacity planning (Repost dute to no response) I have no idea if my posts are getting through to the list since time to time I find no responses or get returned mail telling me I'm not allowed to post. Here is a question I posed and heard nothing. I am wondering how you all have managed capacity plans on your TSM Servers. Does anyone have a basic formula to figure out how to determine how what you have, is capable of doing? I am currently running TSM 5.1.6.3 on AIX 4.3.3. The server is an M80 with 5GB memory, but at the moment only 2CPU's. There are 10 3590 tape drives in a 3494 library. All the drives are fiber and direct attached. The OS resides on internal disks. The db, logs and disk pools are spread across 2 trays of 36GB SSA disks (not on diskpool disks). Currently I have approximately 160 nodes backing up, supposedly what it shows below. Archive Past 24 Hours(Gigabytes) --------------------------------- 623.7771384420000 BACKUP Past 24 Hours(Gigabytes) --------------------------------- 171.1356259960000 Restore Past 24 Hours(Gigabytes) --------------------------------- 6.7243592550000 Geoff Gill TSM Administrator NT Systems Support Engineer SAIC E-Mail: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [EMAIL PROTECTED] Phone: (858) 826-4062 Pager: (877) 905-7154
