You can update your device class to point to the new library, but all storage pool using that class will be redirected.
-----Original Message----- From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Mark D. Rodriguez Sent: Friday, December 02, 2005 2:12 PM To: [email protected] Subject: How do you change the device class of a storage pool? Hi, I am not sure this can be done, but here is what I would have to do. * Customer currently has one library(libA) with one device class (devA) defined that points at libA, and several storage pools that use devA. * Customer has installed new library (libB) which is identical to libA. * I would like to change the device class of the copypool to be devB so it uses libB and not libA anymore. * The upd stg command does not support updating the device class attribute. I can see why it might not, so it keeps people from moving an LTO based storage pool to say a DLT library. My solution is: * rename copypool to oldcopypool * create new copypool using new devB class * make sure that all new backup data is to diskpool which I backup to copypool prior to migration or any data going straight to tapepool must goto copypool at the same time via the "copy storage pools" attribute. * Then start the lengthy backup of tapepool to copypool. This means every byte in tapepool has to be re-copied to the new copypool. In my case this will take about 14 days of non-stop spinning of tapes on every drive available! So for all practical purposes it will take me 3-4 weeks since I will have to use the drives for production purposes during that time. * Once tapepool is backed up to copypool I can start the long process of deleting oldcopypool. I will have to do a del vol VOL_NAME discarddata=yes for each volume in the oldcopypool. This will be very IO intensive and will take some time as you can only run a couple of these at a time without seriously impact the performance of the system. My question: Does anybody have a better way to do this? I am missing something in my process above that might make things simpler? This is definitely a time when I wish I could just poke something into the TSM DB! Thank You in advance for any help you can offer. -- Regards, Mark D. Rodriguez President MDR Consulting, Inc. =============================================================================== MDR Consulting The very best in Technical Training and Consulting. IBM Advanced Business Partner SAIR Linux and GNU Authorized Center for Education IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert, CATE AIX Support and Performance Tuning, RS6000 SP, TSM/ADSM and Linux Red Hat Certified Engineer, RHCE ===============================================================================
