From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Schaub, Steve
>Well, it's also a big pain in the tush for me to explain to mgmt why I'm >budgeting for a BMR tool for our 600 Windows servers even though we >already hand over a boatload of $$ to Tivoli for a backup product, >because I have to have something I can depend on to perform dissimilar >hardware restores. I've talked about this on this list more than a few times, but I'll repeat it for our new folks: ****** You can use TSM to perform bare-metal restores of Windows machines, to similar and to dissimilar hardware. ****** It is a pretty straight-forward process for identical hardware, and dissimilar hardware merely requires a little file-shuffling during the rebuild process. I've performed BMR using nothing but a modified Windows boot CD, nLite <http://www.nliteos.com/> (donate to those folks--their code's great!) and a copy of the TSM client code. >I just don't think it could be that difficult for Tivoli to come up with >a boot cd like they use for ServerGuide that is "TSM aware" and capable >of hardware detection. It's not Tivoli's go to create CDs to facilitate alternate-boot disks for various OSs. IBM already has that process down cold for AIX. Similarly, Sun for Solaris and HP for HP-UX. For Windows, Microsoft developed WinPE, and BartPE is out there for Windows as well. It can be done, folks. It's not that hard. -- Mark Stapleton ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) Senior TSM consultant
