Hello Nancy, I am running TSM Server 6.1.3.1 on a logical partition of Power5 570. This is my current configuration:
XXXX][/]>lparstat -i Node Name : XXXX Partition Name : XXXX Partition Number : 3 Type : Dedicated-SMT Mode : Capped Entitled Capacity : 2.00 Partition Group-ID : 32771 Shared Pool ID : - Online Virtual CPUs : 2 Maximum Virtual CPUs : 3 Minimum Virtual CPUs : 1 Online Memory : 8128 MB Maximum Memory : 15360 MB Minimum Memory : 1024 MB Variable Capacity Weight : - Minimum Capacity : 1.00 Maximum Capacity : 3.00 Capacity Increment : 1.00 Maximum Physical CPUs in system : 4 Active Physical CPUs in system : 4 Active CPUs in Pool : - Shared Physical CPUs in system : - Maximum Capacity of Pool : - Entitled Capacity of Pool : - Unallocated Capacity : - Physical CPU Percentage : 100.00% Unallocated Weight : - [XXXX][/]>lsconf|pg System Model: IBM,9117-570 Machine Serial Number: 6528BEE Processor Type: PowerPC_POWER5 Processor Implementation Mode: POWER 5 Processor Version: PV_5 Number Of Processors: 2 Processor Clock Speed: 1654 MHz CPU Type: 64-bit Kernel Type: 64-bit LPAR Info: 3 drsrv4 Memory Size: 8128 MB Good Memory Size: 8128 MB Platform Firmware level: SF240_358 Firmware Version: IBM,SF240_358 Console Login: enable Auto Restart: true Full Core: false Unfortunately, TSM Server is stiil running in test mode (I have started from 6.1.0 and reached 6.1.3.1). I am going to use de-duplication on TSM server and was testing it in this mode. We have pospounded TSM 6.1 implementation because, in my opinion, it is still not stable enough for production environmrent. It is just a fact - IBM has removed version 6.1.3.0 from market and approximately for one week 6.1.3.1 was not available at all (no official version except bad 6.1.2.1!!!). I am waiting for new version 6.2.0, which will be available soon, and I hope it will be better than 6.1. By the way, IBM is going to use DB2 9.7 instead of older 9.5 in 6.1. Unfortuately it can mean anything from fixing all problems of 6.1 to having additional problems in 6.2. Now about CPUs and memory size. All previous versions of TSM Server up to 5.5.4 were not using a lot of CPU and memory resources. After implementing DB2 picture has been changed a lot. Processes like db2sync are consuming a lot of CPU resources in addition to dsmserv and you need much more space for databse, logs and archives. Unfortunately, TSM documentation does not give real requirements for system resourses. My suggestions are: 1) you definately do not need to increase memory to 32-40 GB. I think 12GB, recommended by IBM, is enough; 2) four Power5 570 1.9GHz cores will be ebough as well. Take them as they are, because I have only information from our test environment. If you are planning to implement TSM 6.1.3.1 (not implemented yet), wait for TSM 6.2 and good luck. Regards, Grigori ________________________________________ From: ADSM: Dist Stor Manager [[email protected]] On Behalf Of Nancy R. Brizuela [[email protected]] Sent: Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:30 AM To: [email protected] Subject: [ADSM-L] TSM V6.1.3.1 and memory requirements on series Hi All, I'm wondering if anyone is running TSM V6.1.3.1 on an IBM server similar to a p5 p570? I definitely need more memory for V6, since I only have 8GB and the documentation says the minimum memory for all but the tiniest server should be 12 GB, 16 GB if using deduplication. I'm considering installing about 32 - 40 GB total memory. We back up about 5 TB per night and have 207 client nodes, one server instance. I'd like to know about any real-world experiences with similar configurations and how much memory your server(s) have and is it adequate? Also, our p5 p570 has two two-way 1.9 GHz processor cards. Do you have an opinion on whether I should add to or upgrade controller cards while I'm at it? Thanks! Nancy Brizuela, CPA Systems Programmer, Senior University of Wyoming IBM/Unix Systems Group Please consider the environment before printing this Email. "This email message and any attachments transmitted with it may contain confidential and proprietary information, intended only for the named recipient(s). If you have received this message in error, or if you are not the named recipient(s), please delete this email after notifying the sender immediately. BKME cannot guarantee the integrity of this communication and accepts no liability for any damage caused by this email or its attachments due to viruses, any other defects, interception or unauthorized modification. The information, views, opinions and comments of this message are those of the individual and not necessarily endorsed by BKME."
