Fair enough. But I think IBM might be the exception here (TSM is another
product that proves it).

Unfortunately, both of these products come at an upfront price that
allows other vendors to undercut them *initially*. Of course, if you
look years later, products with ILM built in from the start are going to
start looking pretty good. Every time we buy new storage, I ask two
questions:

1. How are we going to restore it when it fails or someone goofs?
2. How are we going to migrate off it when the time comes to retire it?

Every time, we end up with a NAS device where these questions are
answered as an afterthought at best, because it's the most
cost-effective solution initially.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skyl...@u.washington.edu)
-- Foege Building S046, (206)-685-7354