Ok, let's go.

Really?

> My sort column in SQL Server is character data ([varchar]
> (255) COLLATE SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CI_AS).  As I understand
> this, the data sorts in dictionary order.  Thus, a value of
> "F-SA" sorts between "FR" and "FT".

Tip: you seem to haves kipped reading the beginner section of your SQL
documentation. Your understanding is totally unsubstantiated.

> The problem is that .NET seems to think that the data is not
> in order.   I

And guess what, .NET is right with this.

Beginner SQL: unless you explicitly sort the data, it is unsorted in the
returned data set.

> have tried all of the CultureInfo settings that I can think
> of to convince .NET to see this as ordered.  I have a need to

Why not fix your bugs regarding any basick nowledge how SQL works,
instead of trying to get .NET agreeing?

> process these rows and compare them to another sorted stream
> of data and the comparison is going nuts when it gets to
> these "special cases".

Then why do you not sort the data?

> Is there a way to get SQL Server and .NET on the same (code)
> page without sorting the data internally after reading it
> from SQL Server?

No. SQL 101. Unless the SQL statement specifies a sort order, sort order
is random.

That said - why do you not just specify a sort order in your query? This
is pretty simple, and you do not have to resort on the client then. It
just is not automatic.

Note: SQL is SET ORIENTED. Sets do not have an intrinsic sort order.

Thomas Tomiczek
THONA Software & Consulting Ltd.
(Microsoft MVP C#/.NET)
(CTO PowerNodes Ltd.)