Title: Working with WindowManager (Unix)

Hi,

We are developing some Java applications using Swing and Java1.2.something on Unix. One of the problems we are having is that the application does not seem to communicate with the Window Manager (in this case CDE and FVWM). The application main window always starts in the upper left hand corner of the screen such that the title bar is off the top of the screen.

Our temporary solution is to set the window location to the center of the screen, however this has the undesirable effect of having subsequent invocations of the same application appear directly on top of the existing one rather than cascade nicely down as with normal X applications that communicate with the Window manager. It is much more desirable for us to have the applications managed by the window manager rather than having them always placed in one consistent location.

Does anyone have a nicer solution (besides implementing our own Java window manager)?

I have noticed that there are a few (maybe more than a few) bugs with Swing/AWT on Unix with Java1.2.X and I see that some of these bugs have already been filed with sun and are still pending, such as the default location being one with the title bar off the top of the screen.

 Thanks for your help

        -Brooke