<don flamesuit>

One thing people don't talk about much is deployability.
I've had to start moving away from ModPerl in some
situations for just this reason.

For example, my recent projects revolve around a public
server that everyone can use with the option to install a
local server on their network that delivers the same
functionality (same codebase with some some tweaks based on
its configuration status). The install has to go smoothly
every single time on a variety of platforms.

Originally I tried to get modperl up in this environment and
it really just was tough., module dependancies, things like
that. Additionally, and I know this is not cool to say, I
didn't really want the entire codebase sitting on someone's
machine since its a shrinkwrap product in a highly
competitive space. Yea yea, you can reverse compile java
classes etc etc etc, its just not the same as 'open the .pm
file'.

So that lead to java (Tomcat+Struts) which pretty quickly
and easily gave me a single package deployment method, no
source included and with no dependancies to speak of. Its
literally a double-click installer and a reboot(just to be
cautious, not really required) and the entire system is up
and running with a reverse proxy, tomcat, struts and all our
apps.

I know I could have accomplished this with modperl but
having done many modperl install packages in the past I know
its just not as easy and not nearly as bulletproof.

I still use a lot of modperl (South African Airways Holidays
etc) but whenever deployability is a key feature I've moved
to Java. Its not so bad once you get used to doing things in
longhand ;)

Solve the deployability issue and I'd jump back in a
heartbeat on those projects. A better way to package
dependancies up, obsfuscated source etc.
</remove flamesuit>

John, still loving my modperl but I've gone to the dark side
on more regular basis over the last year.