I second this one. I always find my self fine tuning peoples
PHP code before I'll deploy it. Its not that PHP is a bad
language but a lot of the people doing it really don't grasp
the finer aspects of writing code in a scalable fashion and
are new to the scene. They end up doing things like
implementing unpredictable levels of SQL queries etc, it can
just kill performance.

There was one guy who would generate a random number, query
an sql table to see if it existed and did it in a loop until
he hit on a number that existed. He never quite grasped why
it was such a randomly bad performing system :)

But everyone learns, I cringe when I look back to my first
perl code.

John-

---Eric said----
This part I don't get. When I ask a semi advanced question
on a PHP list I
get a lot of just stupid responses or dead air. Biggest in
this case is
certainly not best. On the mod_perl list I pretty much end
up feeling
stupid for asking the question, because the answer comes so
quickly and is
so simple :)