On 8 Dec 2008, at 09:41, Philippe Bruhat (BooK) wrote:

I agree with brian: yet another web site with information about Perl
will not have as much impact as people actually going to their local
university, arranging something with the teachers/administration and
actually delivering a few hours worth of introduction to Perl and the
way we use it to solve problems.

Students are very happy to hear a person with years of real-life
experience telling them how things work, and showing actual scars. ;-)

For the last two years in London we've made a point of doing beginners courses at the workshops as a thank you to the university hosting. And of course it's thanks to Dave Cross for giving his time to do this. It's literally 4 hours or so in a side room to introduce people, it also helps the university contact grease the wheels of
administrivia by being to demonstrate some sort of benefit.

It's not enough, but given how many workshops and conferences use university facilities it's a nice attempt at this form of advocacy and also is a nice thank
you to the facility.

One note of caution is, the first time we did this only 2 or 3 students signed up but on the day the room was packed out. Typical lazy students ;-). DHA's mum was also
in the tutorial ;-).

In other fun advocacy news, Leon and I attended the N.London British Computing Society's Christmas talks tonight. My talk won the award for best presentation ;-), and did so by a country mile <-- the reason to mention this isn't to stroke my ego, well i'm still a little chuffed, but it showed me just how good the presentation skills the Perl world has these days, i'm going to try and pitch them a case study talk of how Perl took on a testing culture, looking at the early days of unit testing to the world we now have of CPAN Testers, TAP output Visualisation and all sorts of POD/Test hybrids. (Anyway thought you guys might like a success story). And they are also a good vehicle for going outside Perl and also going outside Perl to students as
most university's with CS courses have a relationship with them.

G.