In article
<aanlktim03wtdgn0e6tj9g0fyklfuuqkgw2ue_hnwu...@mail.gmail.com>, Gabor
Szabo <szab...@gmail.com> wrote:

> a client for some work that will be bigger than I can do alone. The
> interesting part
> was that the client said
>
> "In the Java world there are lots of companies providing
> development services but he could not find any in the Perl world"

There's two parts to that sort of statement usually. Not finding anyone
can easily be "No one agreed to trade their time for what I was
offering" as "There aren't Perl programmers available".

I've never had a tough time hooking up customers with programmers.
There are a lot of people out there who are available and do good work.
Because of that, they don't waste their time with loony projects, low
pay, and ridiculous environments.

On the flip side, finding a lot of Java programmers and companies
providing services doesn't mean that they are any good. And how popular
can Java really be with all of those idle programmers sitting around?
:)

It reminds me of the marketing guy at the only company that fired me.
He came out to visit us in New York and was annoyed that all the
restaurants we suggested were full of people. He suggested a restaurant
that had no people in it. Um, there's a reason for both of those.

Gabor's basically right though: it's nice to have a list of people
looking for contracts. I tend to find, however, that the people you'd
most like to hire aren't ever looking because they have quite the queue
already. :)