It is (kind of) nice to see that we have not totally dropped this
subject. First off, defamation is defined as making untrue statements
that injure someone's character or otherwise by making public facts
about another that, although true, are not in the public interest (for
example, if a person had a disease). Virtually any information that
can be easily obtained by the public cannot be said to be protected --
for instance, if your webserver returns pages that say 'made with
Perl' it cannot be considered defamatory to aggregate and then
retransmit this information to third parties. That would be as absurd
as suing someone for publishing a list of public accounting firms that
can be easily found in the phone book.
     That being said, on certain way to avoid all legal challenges
would be, as you may have guessed, to obtain written permission
beforehand.
     The goal of marketing is in part to create awareness. If you have
never heard of widget X nor of it's features and reliability you are
unlikely to use it. Human beings love to ride the bandwagon, so
sometimes telling them that their favorite sports figure drinks cherry
Coke before every game will boost sales. It is a bit of a crap shoot
to figure out what works but I can assure you that doing nothing us
like trying to start a car with a potato battery.

Sincerely,

Joel Limardo
Chief Software Engineer
ForwardPhase Technologies, LLC