Some stand on the idea that learning a new language is worth it these days
if it brings you to new programming paradigms and/or new possibilities.  In
that light, I see Bash scripters could be seduced by Perl, but the gang in
the Cool-Factor-Zone/Ruby/Python are mostly inclined to move toward Erlang,
Scala, Clojure, Haskell, Objective-C, Javascript...  not Perl, because as
flexible and great as Perl can be it doesn't offer much new advantages to
these peoples.  I think Perl should learn to get back to enviable position
by looking at the programming language ecosystem in general and ask itself
where it is positionned in this jungle and what is it's unique offer.  IMHO
one good cousin to compare to is Lua...  there is not much Cool-Factor in
there, but it offer unique features:  is really small, embedable,
extendable, fast (and by far the fastest), compilable to bytecode, and else.
 Lua is a growing star, not because it has a special personality, like Perl,
but because it has features...  Not that personality is bad, look at Ruby
and Python, both have strong personalities, but it's only a small fraction
of makes these killer languages.  Perl need to know its goal and perfect it.
 Some of you might think the goal is known and done, but think again, Perl
could shine brighter for what it is if it knew pragmatically what it's
destiny is.

no offenses,
only my 2 cents,

L-P