On Feb 5, 2013, at 10:55 PM, Shlomi Fish <shlo...@shlomifish.org> wrote:

> So I think it is better to encourage post-Feminist / post-Buffy /
> post-Friends / etc. female hackers’ heroines. Trying to tout my own horn, here
> is some ( hopefully ) entertaining and amusing post-Buffy / post-Feminist
> online
> literature I've written:

So self-promoting some sort of cringeworthy fantasy fem-hero fiction is somehow
illuminating? You missed the point...

What we want to believe and what is real are often two different things, just
as the toddlers clung to what they believed was the right answer versus
the actual right answer. These are the lies we tell ourselves much like the
term 'meritocracy' is so highly touted, so firmly held as a virtue of open
source and, yet, if closely examined isn't really quite true if we're being
completely honest with ourselves. When Larry gave the YAPC keynote in STL in
2002 which was on the theme of more women in perl using Tolkien's pantheon of
heroic women I cringed, not because I don't enjoy the genre, but because if
anyone needs fewer fictional ideas about women it would be those in the
audience nodding their heads.

In order for change to occur, you're going to have to challenge what you
believe to be are unassailable truths.

e.