I can see the source of the confusion here: my original response is now
outdated. A few months ago we rolled out support for bid modifiers for *all*
and this feature is now available in all accounts and all versions of the
AdWords API.

The AddAdGroupBidModifier example
how to add a modifier using the AdWords API. That example sets a bid
modifier for mobile, but you can also add modifiers for desktop and tablet
by specifying a different *Id* on the *Platform *object. For the list of
available platforms and IDs, check out the Codes and Formats page

Josh, AdWords API Team